Friday, February 25, 2011

Q&A with Travis Williams Photography

Happy Friday everyone! In the latest of our Q and A series, I am humbled to feature Travis Williams Photography! I "met" Travis through a fantastic photography forum, www.fredmiranda.com, and I am excited to show off his incredible work with all of you!

Have a wonderful weekend! =)

Let's start with a little bio, tell me about yourself.

I'm a Wedding and Senior Portrait photographer based out of Tucson, AZ. My desire to tell a story and celebrate life's greatest moments with my clients, friends and community is what motivates me each day, each photoshoot. 
 My Story starts here: http://traviswilliamsphotography.com 
 Recent work can be found here: http://traviswilliamsphotography.com/blog 
My life is lived online here: http://facebook.com/traviswilliamsphotography
My story unfolds daily here: http://twitter.com/travisthepinata

How did you become a photographer?

I became a photographer when I became aware of the impending arrival of our first child in the summer of 2005. I knew I wanted to get good photos of my own kids and this desire sent me off on my journey to record lifes great celebration moments. My path to become a full time professional photographer was one I didn't know I would walk until it happened. I was selling cars as an auto broker and loving life. I enjoyed my day job until the economy turned south in the fall of 2008, at that point 2 years into my photography career I was content to 2nd shoot weddings with other professionals and work with the occassional High School Senior or family on portrait sessions to supliment my income and sustain my photography hobby. By the Fall of 2008 it was clear that selling cars was no longer going to cut it and I was already facing the fact that more and more people were asking me to shoot sessions with them. I had a choice to make, and that choice became clear. The beginning of 2009 brought my full time pursuit of photography as a profession. I like to think of myself as a professional story teller.

Why should I book you as a photographer?

My actual photography skills are the last reason you should hire me. I'd like to believe that my clients hire me first and foremost because they know without a shadow of a doubt that I am going to add more to their wedding day, than i'm going to detract. I'm going to be more fun than one should legally have on any given day, and in the end: I'm a professional and will get it right the first time and will work with them to create a wonderful collection of images that will give them memories that will last. I believe that photography skills only make up about 30% of the skill sets I believe I employ on a wedding day shoot. I believe that my people skills, my client expectation management, time management, priority management, planning and listening skill sets are among my greatest assets.

How would you describe your style?

I'd like to think of my work as: Clean, Crisp, Natural and Authentic - I don't do much "photoshop" to my images I prefer to stay more natural !

What's in your camera bag?

I'm a Nikon guy... good or bad, love me or hate me! I'm shooting a D700 for my wedding/portrait camera.. and a D300 for my sports, event and backup portrait camera. I use 4 lens' on a daily basis: 28-70 f/2.8 - 85mm f/1.8 - 50mm f/1.8 - 80to200 f/2.8 - I have an assortment of Nikon flashes and I use alot of speedlights for my off camera work using Pocket Wizards to trigger them.

If you had to pick your favorite piece of equipment, what would it be and why?

I'm a sucker for my 85mm f/1.8 portrait lens. I love the depth of field and such. I'm looking forward to getting a f/1.4 version of that lens and a 24mm f/1.4 next. Actually my most favorite equipment is my rigid framed reflector. I use it every shoot and really have grown to love using it to help me tweek natural light.

What advice would you give to aspiring photographers?

I really enjoyed working into weddings in specific by shooting with other talented photographers. 2nd shooting was the ultimate "learn in the fire" situation for me.. very helpful to get an upclose look at a wedding day in action. I was lucky enough to have 3 pro photographers invest in me early on. If you can find those around you to mentor you it's a good way to go. Also I think it's worth mentioning that running a photography business is so much more than shooting photography. I believe that there are several aspects of running my business that actually fit me even better than the actual photography part of my business. In actuality I am a professional relationship builder. I love building relationships more than just about anything... that and connecting people. I love hearing stories and retelling them with the photos to accompany them.

Engagement - I love recording the connections between people this one has that intimacy that I love


Aftershoot - I dig selecting locations and themes that really meet people and their relationships where they intersect with their passions. This image was described best as "She's not just marrying him, she's marrying the military, he the pilot and that damn airplane!" I agreed and felt the comment really spoke truth.


Wedding - I am blessed and lucky enough to shoot year round here in Southern Arizona and the Sonoran Desert. Here's a classic example of a sunset we have on a regular basis and trying to backdrop a wedding client against Tucson's best.


Senior Female - You are what you hobby or passion for! Here I've found Kaycee's fun, playful side backdropped against her love for her high school softball !


Senior Male - Tyler and Football go together like Peanut Butter and Jelly - here I've chosen to backdrop him against another southern arizona sunset. Shot on location just 100 feet from the football field he played on friday nights in the fall for 4 straight years.


Email us (info@labrisaphotography.com) about your upcoming wedding or to schedule a portrait session!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving us some love!