Friday, March 18, 2011

Q&A with Mike of 4Honor Photography

Happy Friday everyone! I just made it to my hometown of San Jose, CA and I'm super excited for my engagement session on Sunday! Hopefully the weather changes for the better because it is rainy and nasty windy outside today!

Today, I'm happy to feature my good friend, Mike of 4Honor Photography! I "met" Mike through a phenomenal resources for photographers, www.fredmiranda.com and then we actually met for a photographer get together in Kansas City and we've been friends ever since! Enjoy Mike's Q and A!

Chris: Let's start with a little bio, tell me about yourself.

I am originally from Taiwan, grew up there for 12 years, then moved to the States. Fast foreword through high school and college, and now I am working at an engineering consulting firm as a CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) Detailer. My strength is my people skills, and my weakness is food. I am easily bribed with free food. Ha ha!

I shoot photos under 4Honor Photography, and you can see most of my work at http://4honor.blogspot.com.

Chris: How did you become a photographer?

My father bought me a small Nikon point and shoot camera for college, and I would be the paparazzi of my friends, take pictures of anybody and everybody, whether they like it or not. :) I don't really take photos of stills, but mostly of people. Then upon graduation, the lens barrel finally gave in, and I was without a camera. It became miserable. So, when looking for another camera, I splurged and went for the dSLR from Canon, then it was all downhill for my bank account. Ha ha! That's also when my photography skills went uphill. After taking photos, I would share them with friends, and with large amounts of support from them, it further encourages to keep shooting.

Chris: Why should I book you as a photographer?

There are plenty of people with great understanding and technical skills of photography, but since I work with mostly people, I stand out with my people skills. I am easy going, fun, and don't stress much. I feed off of your positive energy into creativity. Just like my day job, it doesn't really matter what I am doing, if I got great coworkers, I am happy to go to work everyday.

Chris: How would you describe your style?

I take on a modern, bright, and clean approach when editing, and I like to shoot close up and expressions. Vibrant colors are my friend.

Chris: What's in your camera bag?

I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II, Canon's full frame sensor camera. It's most professional photographer's choice of camera. Then I have the 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, and the 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro. Between these 4 lenses, I can get all the shots I need. Of course, there are always stuff on the "want" list...

I also have a 580EX II speedlight, and two AlienBee's B800's for my formal/reception/photobooth setups. The CyberSycs wireless system triggers the lights for me.

Chris: If you had to pick your favorite piece of equipment, what would it be and why?

If there was a fire and I can only grab one thing, it would definitely be the 70-200mm lens. That was the first L lens I got, and it took my shots leaps and bounds ahead. That lens can turn any shot into a great shot, no matter the camera body. It is also so versatile that pretty much every photographer has one, whether Canon or Nikon. Some complain about its weight, but after you've seen the shots, it's all worth it!

Chris: What advice would you give to aspiring photographers?

One advice I would give to newcomers is to shoot a lot. Doesn't matter what, just shoot. Then look at lots of other people's work, figure out why you like it, and then try to duplicate something similar. Also surround yourself with photographers you admire, learn from them.

Chris: Thank you again so much for sharing with all of us. Now, check out a few of Mike's incredible images!

I love fun images. Everyone needs to have fun. This shot idea came from the groom, and the bride played along!

I don't really like cheesy smiles, I want great laughs! You can genuinely tell these couple are pretty pleased with their day.

 I just love brides who are "expressive"! And I love it even more when I catch it just at the right time!

These are the half second moments that when I catch it, I can safely say, "I am done for the day". Ha ha, ok, not really, but these are the shots that get people talking!

I didn't think the direct sunlight was gonna be good for the photos, but it actually added colors to the bubbles. It turned out to be many of my fans' favorite shot from the wedding!

Thanks for letting me do this, it was fun~

Email us (info@labrisaphotography.com) about your upcoming wedding or to schedule a portrait session!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving us some love!